In 2011, the B.C. oil and gas industry and the B.C. Government signed an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the Implementation Plan for the Ongoing Management of Boreal Caribou in B.C.
This website describes the research component of the MoU between 2011 and 2019. The findings from this research are being implemented under further MoUs and/or government and industry initiatives.
Implementation Plan for Ongoing Management of Boreal Caribou in BC
The Government of British Columbia has approved the implementation of management activities for Boreal Caribou including:
- Protecting certain areas of Boreal Caribou habitat from industrial activities;
- Managing the size of industrial footprint;
- Mitigating the effects of the industrial footprint where industrial activities are allowed;
- Restoring boreal caribou habitat;
- Managing caribou predators and alternate prey; and
- Conducting research on boreal caribou and their habitat. Implementation of these activities is described in the Implementation Plan for the Ongoing Management of Boreal Caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou pop. 14) in British Columbia.
The implementation plan can be obtained at http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/speciesconservation/bc/